Latest posts:

224398_288280191271997_904188289_n

Question: Training together with different abilities

I regularly get emails from people, usually with questions about their training, and sometimes just to say they like my videos (thanks!). A week ago I got the email below, which I thought was such a good question that I would answer it here. It’s something I struggled with too, and I many people in our position, so hopefully my thoughts will help, although please do post a comment below to share...

IMG_20141014_174202

How To: Make your own deodorant

When I tell people you make your own deodorant, about 70% of them back off in the way you’d expect them to if I just admitted a proclivity for inserting digits into my olfactory cavity on a nightly basis. (Don’t say I don’t help you improve your vocabulary). The other 30%, usually women with lefty leanings, go “really?” and ask for more information. So, ladies, this post is for you....

2014 – A Year To Learn (things to do and not do)

One of the things I realised in 2014 was that I would like to “help people be more awesome”. There is a lot to “awesome” (besides being an overused and increasingly un-cool word): being happy, being confident, being healthy, fulfilling your potential and so on. One of the reasons I wanted to force myself to write more was to find a stronger voice and angle for myself and this blog,...

lcgd

2014 – A Year To Teach

When reflecting over my 2014, what stood out most is how the balance of teaching to learning in my life has shifted towards the former and, whilst I’ll probably write another post about the latter, I thought I’d review the past year through this relatively new lens, and talk about what I’ve learnt and how it’s changed my outlook on my own training and work life. A lot of people...

new-year-3

New years resolve

Every year I try to make a new year’s resolution that I’ll actually manage to keep forever – I see it as a good excuse/reason to make a life-long change in some way, however small. The past few years have been pretty successful: not picking up free newspapers* (unless they have been “recycled” by being read first), not buying pointless plastic bottles (switching to soap instead of shower gel, using...

205664675_ed0a8c5fdb_b

News ‘n’ blogs round-up

Little round up of the best articles I’ve read this week. Thought I’d share in case you have time for a bit of reading over the weekend. Training/food: Identify your weak points  (GMB) Easy meals for time-poor people to make (Quora) An interview with the legend that is Bro Ben; artist, musician and the official film make for the UK calisthenics scene (Design Week) Life: Something many people need a bit...

Blown. Away.

Blown. Away.

Just seen this and had to share it here… It’s pretty rare for me to see female calisthenics that totally blows me away – because I’m more into the strength side than the tricks, but the latter is more popular, most of the videos that I see on Facebook or whatever are really dynamic with spins and claps and so on. Whilst they’re pretty cool, they don’t require the strength...

IMG_20140510_160908

Calisthenics workshop review

Is it the done thing to review a series of workshops that you taught yourself? I’m not really sure, but Ima do it anyway… This summer, I led a series of bodyweight workshops in association with Strength Ambassadors. Actually “series” isn’t quite the right word – maybe “several” would be more apt, since they were standalone events, each delivering new material and focussing on different areas and skills. It’s fair...

Band-Pull-Up-A-female-ex

Bands vs. negatives (and some philosophising)

The two most common methods of learning to do a pull up are to either use a resistance band, such as the one in the photo below, or to do “negatives”, which is where you lower yourself (slowly and with control) down from the top of the bar; “negative” being the term used to describe the reverse motion of any exercise. Which is the more effective of the two is...

Grisedale Pike to Causey Pike run/walk (photos)

I’m up in the Lake District with friends for a week. It’s my first holiday that’s not involved an obstacle race so far this year, and whilst that should mean sitting around eating, drinking wine and doing the odd bit of sight-seeing, in my world it means leaving my friends to do that whilst I take off on what turned out to be an epic walk/run/climb.   My ITB‘s flared...